Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Matsuzaka-San

You really do not want to know the percentage of the last two days I have spent following the Matsuzaka saga. I've used Sons of Sam Horn (belatedly on the dcat list of links) as something of a home base but have scoured the net for news small and large, substantial and rumor. It finally appears that a deal may be done according to ESPN and other sources. Matsuzaka apparently got on a plane this morning in SoCal with several Sox officials, something that Matsuzaka's agent, Scott Boras, insisted would not happen without a deal in place.


Let out a sigh of relief and get some sleep Sox fans. I said all along that this would get done, but not without machinations and the sort of speculation that makes being a Red Sox fan the joy that it is.

4 comments:

dcat said...

Rich -- I'd gloat, but here is the reality: if some of the reports I am hearing are true, we may be signing him for anywhere between 6-$48 and 6-$66. I like the six years is he proves to be as good as advertuised. but keep in mind the $51.1 posting fee -- that's an Average Annual Value (AAV) of between $16.5 and $19.5.

This is great if he ends up as the best pitcher on this market and among the best in baseball. It's great if he can handle the tarnsition, the Boston media (can you imagine what Fenway will be like -- the usual insane media crush plus some hindred plus japanese sportswriters every night in that tiny clubhouse?) and if he is not, gulp, Hideki Irabu.
So yeah, I'm thrilled, but i feel a bit as if I just stepped into a Let's Make a Deal Episode (dcat is not afraid to rock the Monty Hall references).

dcat

dcat said...

Rich --
First off, don't tell Tom or Thunderstick there is a hairy goat nearby. just trust me on that one.
I am encouraged by the progression of his numbers and his age. I'm most worried about the transition. But I'm glad we got him, and the latest numbers sound reasonable -- much closer to $48 than to $66. We'll see . . .
Yeah, the Yanks keep going to that old guy well. But they have won nine straight division titles, so what can I say? Still -- keep going that way.

dcat

Thunderstick said...

Did someone say hairy goat?

dcat said...

You and tb need to behave yourselves. There is enough hairy goat to go around . . .