Thursday, December 07, 2006

Larry Bird Turns 50

It seems impossible for any of us who saw Larry Legend emerge as the gawky Hick from French Lick, but Larry Bird turns 50 today. Over at the Boston Globe Bob Ryan rightfully sees an opportunity "to celebrate Bird's greatness." My favorite Bird quotation from the piece:
"I had fun," he points out. "I can tell you right now I did smell the roses. Any time I felt good, I completely loved playing. If I felt good during the warm-up, if I had my balance, I could definitely tell you that somebody was going to get an ass-whipping. Of course, I remember it all. I remember that first game in the Garden. There were only about 10 or 11,000 people there and I remember the place smelled like stale beer. Probably why I liked it."
You can have Jordan and Magic and Lebron and Shaq, transcendental players all. I'll take Larry Joe Bird.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recall that his home town was French Lick.

dcat said...

Brainfart trying to get that out quickly, but of course he was from French Lick.

Larry is certainly my favorite basketball player of all time, hands down, bar none. Of course it saddens me to think of how far the Celtics have fallen. Today the Thunderstick and I were discussing whether or not the Celts are in contention for the #1 pick in the 2007 draft.

dcat

g_rob said...

I've always been a Jordan fan, but watching Larry vs. Magic Larry vs. Isaiah was pure entertainment when I was growing up. Bird is as likeable a character as there is.

dcat said...

I'm an old man, apparently, because basketball has been all downhill since the 1980s.

I don't even want to think about Len Bias and Reggie Lewis.

dcat