Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A Son of Southie on The Departed

Michael Patrick MacDonald, who wrote All Souls, the fabulous memoir of growing up in South Boston (and whose new book, Easter Rising: An Irish American Coming Up from Under appears to mine some of the same terrain) writes in the Boston Globe that The Departed rings true:
From the first scene to the last, refusing to recline in the midst of the corrupt, strangulating, and deadly culture depicted, I sat on the edge of my seat, ready to flee. And so did everyone else in the theater. Which means that director Martin Scorsese got it exactly right. I was brought right back to my childhood home, reminded of everything that did make me flee as often as I could from the streets that took two of my brothers, at the ages of 21 and 23, as well as leaving a sister severely brain damaged and partially paralyzed at 18.

See The Departed. Trust me.

No comments: