Monday, October 23, 2006

A Foodie's Delight

I love San Antonio, which is probably a good thing given that if actuarial tables are to be believed, I'll be down there for several weeks of the year for the next forty to fifty years and may end up there permanently someday. There are lots of reasons why I find it to be such a great place -- I'm a city afficianado to begin with, but also personal reasons play a big role. But if you love food, look at a bit of my my weekend eating schedule and you'll understand. If I do end up down there for good, I'll surpass two bills in about two weeks:


Friday Night: Arrive; within an hour have take out Bill Miller's barbecue. Bill Miller's is a chain, and is not the best bbq I have ever had, but it was good enough for me to eat two-and-a-half pulled bbq sandwiches, to scarf a sausage, and to drink about a gallon of sweet tea.


Saturday morning: Breakfast at BJ's Tacos. I had four tacos: Avocado; barbacoa; bean and cheese; egg and chorizo. It was fantastic -- the ideal San Antonio restaurant is an unobtrusive hole in the wall. This qualifies and then some.


Saturday afternoon: Ana's mom's birthday dinner at a steak buffet place. these tend not to be my favorite kind of eateries. So I only had four plates worth of Tex-Mex goodness.


Sunday morning: The traditional Sunday barbacoa and tamales. Mmmmmm.
Now I'm back, trying to catch up on work, and hoping to burn off the weekend's food, a plan interrupted by a between-classes breakfast burrito (egg, beans, cheese, and bacon) at Jumburrito here in Odessa.

4 comments:

El Aguila said...

I recommend the Diet Special:
1. Jumbo size Chorizo and Beans with cheese
2. Jumbo size Chorizo, potatoes, and eggs with cheese
3. And a diet coke

Thunderstick said...

I can only imagine the smells that are coming out of you after a weekend of eating like that, especially given that you smell pretty awful on a normal day.

dcat said...

Mmmmmm, Diet specials. I think I'll have two. With a new satellite television, please.

By the way, for the record -- I smell like roses dipped in daisies.

dcat

Thunderstick said...

Yeah--if roses and daisies were made out of poop