Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Back From Cali

I'm back from my little California adventure. I was in Oakland for the weekend for the American Studies Association meeting, where I gave a paper on comparative race relations in the US and South Africa and met with the publisher of a journal for which I am on the editorial board, among other things. It was a productive meeting, though I would have thought that the American Studies Association would have been much bigger, akin to the American Historical Association or African Studies Association meetings. Instead it was, or felt, smaller than the Southern.


I feel like a walking cliche every time I am in the Bay Area. Every time I am there I am in awe of it, and spend the next week or so thinking, "you know, I really could live there." This time it was especially eye-opening, because I had not spent much time in Oakland before, and I have to admit, it was a lot nicer than I expected. I stayed in Alameda, which is just a few minutes from downtown Oakland. Of course I could never afford to own a house in anything resembling close proximity to any of the universities in the Bay Area, and while my quality of life might arguably rise in NoCal, my standard of living would almost inevitably drop.


Nonetheless, if the history chairs from Stanford or Cal-Berkeley are reading this, I'd certainly be willing to entertain recruiting calls.

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

ASA does feel smaller than it is (not that it's terribly big to begin with). I love it in part because of that "small-town, small-world" vibe, and in part because it's early enough that very few people interview there, so there's not so much angst. Come to think of it, that's probably why it's smaller.

dcat said...

Rhonda --
I actually thought about the lack of interviews being a factor in the relatively carefree mood. certainly AHA in particular is pervaded by angst and general unpleasantness since so many of the people there are interviewing, desperate to interview, or are spending long days doing the interviewing. It makes me feel all icky just thinking about it.

dcat