Thursday, May 11, 2006

Colbert and the Correspondents

I have little to say about whether or not Steven Colbert, whose show I love, was funny at the White House Correspondents Association dinner a couple of weeks ago. I thought parts were funny, parts were biting -- and were meant to be -- and that the fact that he was so acerbic toward the media meant that they were not going to be inclined to give him much of a fair shake. James Wood has the best analysis I have seen.


Events like the coverage of Colbert at the dinner help to give the lie to the intellectually vacant myth of the liberal media. Conservatives seem to know this, finally, because in the last two years they have embraced this meaningless construct, the "mainstream media," which no one has ever defined, because when used (and the left has adopted this dopey nomenclature as well) all the speaker or writer really means is "stuff I read or hear that disagrees with me."

No comments: