Wednesday, July 22, 2009

At the FPA Africa Blog (Self Indulgence Alert)

After something of a lull after my trip to South Africa, I am back up and running at the Foreign Policy Association's Africa Blog where I have addressed issues ranging from Nelson Mandela's birthday (and the burgeoning Mandela industry surrounding the great man) to corruption in Kenya, political division in Mauritania, crackdowns on free speech in Gambia, questioning a particular criticism of South Africa's approach to AIDS, the enormous balls on the despots in Khartoum, the start of the Tri Nations, and perhaps my favorite, great cricket insults. Here is a sample of the last:
Eddo Brandes, the chicken farmer who batted at 11 for Zimbabwe, was surviving in entirely haphazard fashion.

The exasperated bowler wandered down the pitch and drolly asked: “Eddo, why are you so fat?” Brandes promptly replied: “Because every time I make love to your wife, she gives me a biscuit.” [My guess is that this one has been cleaned up for public consumption!]

and:

Ian Botham could always give as good as he got. When he came to the crease Aussie wicketkeeper Rod Marsh said cheerfully: “How’s your wife and my kids?”

Botham is said to have replied: “The wife’s fine. The kids are retarded.”

As I wrote to conclude that post, "Hey, it doesn’t all have to be coups and corruption and politics."


Please go check it all out.

No comments: