Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Pictures From Iran

One of my colleagues from my China program this past summer just returned from a trip to Iran. Here are two of the pictures he took. They may serve as a useful reminder of what we are up against. I am very reluctant to support any sort of military action in Iran, though someday it might be necessary, but I think we ought not to be under any illusions either.


This is only a small sample of the pictures he sent me. Iran is obviously a beautiful country with a rich cultural heritage and a long history. Jonathan had some eye-opening experiences (for good and for ill) and met some wonderful people and he wants to be hopeful. I too sincerely harbor hope. But my approach is to hope but also to prepare for the possibility that some of those hopes may come up short.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures are very eye opening and yes the USA has no business in another middle east country !!

dcat said...

Well, that is one interpretation. I'm not certain I'd make a categorical assertion like that, however. We have every right and responsibility, "business," if you will, making sure that Iran does not develop nuclear weapons, for example. And we certainly have business with, and thus "in" our liberal and democratic ally, Israel, or with Egypt, which is second in the region in our largesse. We have business in at minimum applying pressure on Syria to reform, on making sure that Lebanon and Jordan are stable, and some might even say on pursuing the emergence of a stable Palestinian state. Oh, and anyplace we have an embassy we have "business in." Plus, while I'd love to wean ourselves from a dependence on foreign oil, we surely have business in the region until we do.
So maybe you ought to rethink your generalization.

dcat