Friday, September 22, 2006

All The King's Men

The reviews are beginning to pour in and they are not all that good. I've been looking forward to two movies above all this fall, The Last King of Scotand, which is based (loosely) on Uganda's murderous 1970s despot, Idi Amin, and All The King's Men another adaptation of Robert Penn Warren's masterpiece. Unfortunately, the latter seems to be coming up short.


Ty Burr's review in the Boston Globe and A.O. Scott's in the New York Times are among many that identify the same flaws -- overacting (especially on the part of Sean Penn), directionless direction, poor casting. I've used Warren's book in class before and Huey Long is one of my favorite figures to teach. I'll likely still see the movie (I'll consider it a professional imperative) but this loooks likely to be one of those times when hope does not meet reality -- a trend that seems increasingly common with the movies these days. Hollywood makes a hell of a trailer and can build buzz like no other industry. Unfortunately, the consummation does not often match the anticipation. Hollywood increasingly is in the sizzle industry, and we keep buying the gristle.

6 comments:

Thunderstick said...

Screw that movie. Go see Snakes on a Plane!!!

dcat said...

I've read the title; I've seen the trailer. I think I've pretty much seen the movie and then some for all intents and purposes!

g_rob said...

I heard a glowing review of All The King's Men on NPR this morning. I don't remember the reviewer's name but he does reviews for NPR and The LA Times.

On a completely different note, The Fastest Indian is out on DVD and it is a great film. I'm shocked it didn't get more oscar consideration. Hopkins is a master.

dcat said...

Greg --
I have heard only good things about fastest Indian and will have to check it out.
I'm also glad to hear some good reviews of ATKM since I am going to see it.
I also have heard good things about the Goldwater doc on HBO that his granddaughter produced. She was on the Daily Show last night.

dcat

Thunderstick said...

Did you see the part in the previews where the two people go to the bathroom to enter the "Mile High Club" but a snake comes down and bites her on the boob? Did you? I don't think so. You need to see Snakes on a Plane. Go see it now. Just leave your teaching load and go.

dcat said...

I did see that clip, actually. So there.

dcat