Sunday, July 15, 2007

All Politics is Local: Simpsons Edition

In this global world I suppose it should not surprise me that I discovered that Springfield, Vermont will be hosting the premiere of the Simpsons movie from a South African newspaper, though the news initially was the result of a contest in USA Today (where you can click to see all of the video entries). I grew up about a half hour from Springfield, and played against them in sports, especially football (we beat them on a great defensive stop my senior year) and track (I won my first high school event at Springfield High my sophomore year; it seemed like we competed there three times a year). And now it is semi-world famous. In my mind this means Newport = Shelbyville (though I suppose in fairness Bellows Falls comes closest in geographic proximity and rivalry value to playing Springfield's foil).

No comments: