Monday, February 19, 2007

Vic Falls and Zimbabwe

IOL reports that Victoria Falls is experiencing an upsurge even on the more populous (and easier to access) Zimbabwe side. Zim is, of course, still a nightmare. And it appears that the Falls represent a bubble of serenity amidst the chaos (Mugabe and his cronies need that hard currency, after all).


I am finding it hard to believe that it has been almost a decade since I was last at the Falls. I have a picture in my office in which I am at the front of a white water raft hurtling down the Zambezi River and some of the harshest rapids in the world, all sinew and youth and adventure. Zimbabwe was different then too, though signs of the impending nightmare already had begun to manifest. I'd love to go back someday, but would prefer to hold off until things change in Mugabe's madman's paradise.

No comments: