Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy 4th of July!

I'm not much interested in chest-beating patriotism, but I love my country. I'm not much interested in foolish assertions that America represents the world's last great hope, though I believe that fundamentally we offer great hope. Conversations of which countries are the greatest or the best bore me. But America is a great and good nation.


I wish you and yours a wonderful Independence Day. And now that the Nathan's Famous hot dog eating championship is back in American hands, there is plenty of cause to celebrate, and maybe even wave a flag or two.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home! FYI on Tuesday July 10th I travel to El Paso, Ohio:)for my citizenship oath ceremony. As a last defiant gesture, I flew the Union Jack at my home on the 4th! Our neighbours politely ignored it. It is heartening how very pleased all our friends and relatives are, and for me it is the end of a very long process, so I am also delighted and just a wee bit proud. Do they play cricket in Texas?

dcat said...

Seve --
It's good to be back.
Congrats on your evolution into full citizenship. No cricket in Texas, but it's the heart of baseball season. Buy you some peanuts and crackerjacks -- you won't care if you ever get back. Root, root, root, for the home team -- if they don't win, it's a shame.

USA!USA!USA!

dcat