Friday, November 24, 2006

Post-Gluttony Quick Hits

Just some quick observations from the Starbucks in Southwest San Antonio across from a Best Buy where people began to camp overnight as early as 8:00 last night for this morning's shopping madness:


First, I will admit it: It looks as if on the whole I was wrong about Tony Romo. He has been incredible for the Cowboys. I still think Parcells could have handled the situation differently. And the Cowboys' offensive line could have saved Bledsoe's job by sucking less, like they do now for Romo. And I will not be surprised if Romo hits a wall. But so far the facts sem to indicate that the Cowboys are rejuvenated. It is better to be lucky than good.


In both basketball and football Boston College gets me every year. Why I thought they could get it done this year and make the BCS in the best chance they are likely to see in years (FSU and Miami down, lots of good but no other dominant teams, the best team in their division being Wake Forest, etc.) is beyond me. How could they not be ready to get it done last night and hope for Maryland to take out Wake? Vexing.


This Michael Richards thing has really thrown me for a loop. For one thing, it came out of nowhere. But above all, how can anyone in America these days come out with the N-bomb? Multiple N-bombs. And how do I consume Seinfeld now? I fully believe in using the power of consumerism to send a message, but given how Jerry seinfeld handled himself after all of this, which was nothing less than admirable, I don't really want to boycott the show. I guess I won't buy any dvd's, but I was not planning to anyway -- why would I buy dvd's for a show that is on cable all the time? Very perplexing.


I am the only person who seems to feel this way, but I would have preferred to have seen the power of the free market crush OJ into pulp rather than have his book and interview squashed. OK, maybe not the interview. But the book should have been made available once it was ready for publication. We can debate whether it deserved to get a contract to begin with, and I have to stay away from sharp objects for a day or so after every trip to the bookstore when I see what gets a major trade contract in light of the struggles of little guys like me, but OJ's crap was simply of a piece. Stifling it in such a way is alarming because of the ramification it has for the free market of ideas. That said, there was no way on earth I was getting anywhere near such a craven money grab and while I worry about the implications for free speech, I don't weep even a little for OJ.


I think I'm still full from yesterday.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting point of view...I suppose I agree that I would have liked to have seen the OJ book fall flat on its face and have nobody buy it rather than HarperCollins canceling it. But then a part of me feels the risk of people actually buying it and putting it on the bestseller lists isn't worth keeping the book project alive. I fear much like that Evangelist who called gay marriage evil only to get caught having a sexual affair with a male masseuse, many of the people who were outraged at the idea of the OJ book would eventually be buying it to see what its all about.

dcat said...

Doc --
Obviously the problem with the OJ book would be that it would rise to the top of the best seller list even as everyone who surreptitiously bought their copy (thank God for Amazon!) gnashed their teeth in mock outrage. And yes, I suppose it would be another new low if it made the bestseller list, but really, every time I look at what is on the best sellers in any given week I lose just a little more faith in humanity.

dcat

Ahistoricality said...

Actually, I strongly suspect that the OJ book would have done what a lot of more "high-minded" books by famous people do: sell a few copies, but most of the discussion would be by people who hadn't read anything but a few competing descriptions of the book. It was going to be a flop, which is why they pulled it. Outrage helps cover the decision, but I'm 90% sure it was financial at its base.

Thunderstick said...

I can't believe DCat got a football prediction wrong with the Romo thing. DCat is always so good at his football predictions.

dcat said...

I believe you questioned the decision at the time as well, Nostradamustick.

dcat said...

Ahistoricality --
You are probably right. i would also be curious what the tv ratings would have looked like -- I bet it would have been like exit polling where people either lie about what they voted or at least why they voted. My guess is that there would be serious underreporting for Neilson but that lots of folks would have shut the curtains and checked in.

dcat