Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Anecdotal Whispering Rumors

It might be best to file this under "wishful thinking," "loose-lipped rumor mongering," or simply "election day speculation," but if true, this is a whopper: Lincoln Chafee might be thinking of becoming a Democrat even if he wins. From Franklin Foer at The Plank:
I have a friend in Rhode Island--a Democrat torn between his affections for Lincoln Chafee and his desire to make Harry Reid majority leader. Over the weekend, my friend attended a Chafee event and cornered the senator. Now, my friend doesn't have a personal relationship with Chafee, but he put the question bluntly to him: Why should I stick with you in a race with so many national implications? Chafee pulled my friend aside, lowered his voice, and told him that he might not be a Republican for much longer.

This is just one report. Take it for whatever its worth.

Of course we will. But it does raise the possibility of part defections if the GOP hemmhorages seats today -- something I am beginning to doubt may be as extensive as appeared possible a couple of weeks ago. I've also been wondering, if Joseph Lieberman wins, will he be back in the Democratic fold within a few weeks or months?


I am going to try to write a long-ish post on the election today before we have a lay of the land but once at least a few votes have been cast.

6 comments:

dcat said...

I think Lieberman actually will beat Lamont. Texas might have to wait, but could get another shot at Ohio State. Theren is always next year for the Sox-Yanks rivalry. And I just hope I don't have to worry about Kerry being in a position not to win in 2008 -- but are you so certain that you are happy about the outcome in 2004?

dcat

dcat said...

Yes, 2000 still makes my blood boil. the fact that the GOP was in preparations to challenge a Gore victory if he won with fewer popular but more EC votes is one of the most brazen aspects of hypocrisy I have ever seen, truth be told. Never mind the Supreme Court's intellectually and Constitutionallt vacuous ruling. Or the drawing of arbitrary deadlines for a recount. Ugh.
As for the BCS, I cannot imagine how the loser of OSU-Michigan could possibly be justified as going to the national championship game. It would be an absolute travesty, especially if anyone else ends up undefeated. I'd be down with a Texas-Ohio State rematch, but as with every year, I am utterly committed to seeing the BCS fail. So i want multiple undefeated teams or lots of one loss teams and no or only one undefeated team. the last thing I want is just two remaining undefeated teams, unless one gets screwed and is not allowed into the title game.

dcat

dcat said...

GoodLib --
Chafee is actually a good man. Many see him as both a lightweight and as the beneficiary of his father's legacy, both of which are pretty much true. But I'll say this, had he won he would not have rolled over for the GOP and had he won by just a sliver he may well have become a Democrat. He still might. If a republican had to win one of the close races, I wish it had been that one and not the Tennessee race. harold Ford has a serious future ahead of him.

As for the Red Sox -- I can assure you that any major free agents who receive interest from New York is almost guaranteed to receive interest from the Sox, if only to drive the price up. I wonder if they will be a de facto package deal. I'd be happy to sign on that bottom line. I'd rather pick up them than Zito. I'm curious if we placed a compettitive bid for the Japanese pitcher who is raising so many eyebrows.

I too would love to see Rutgers as the Big East BCS rep.

dcat

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Derek (gasp) - Chafee was a good man in the Senate (I even voted for his father back in my Rhode Island days) -- and how I have learned to adore moderate Republicans these past 12 years. Questions of what Chafee's party allegiance would have been are now academic, but I doubt he would have switched parties (Rhode Island politics are at least as interesting as national politics and arguably more important to Rhode Island voters).

I'm trying not to obsess here in the Old Dominion, but I feel hopeful for the first time in a long while. Let the recount/FBI investigations commence.

dcat said...

Cynthia --
I am getting ready to write a post on the elections, and let me tell you, one of my favorite elements of recent turns of events is watching the GOP twist themselves into knots trying to rationalize their newly found "count all the votes" religion. If the democrats are smart they will let this play out, let all the votes be counted, and then be ruthless in the recriminations. I especially love that, unlike in, say, Florida in 2000, there are no allegations of widespread chicanery.

Good times.

dc

dcat said...

I love the gyroball. I love that it is part mythology, part legend, part hype. I hope we put in a competitive bid.

I hate most of the posible relievers I've heard rumored to the Sox, but I think the nature of the closer role (which Bill james still argues is overrated and misapplied) means that it becomes a crapshoot. I feel bad for Keith Foulke, but we'll always have October 2004, and a case can be made that he deserved the MVP of that World Series.

dcat