Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Survivor Controversy

Shouldn't I care about the fact that Survivor has decided to break teams up by race and ethnicity this season? I write about race in the US and in Africa. Racism is still among the most salient issues facing not only Americans, but the world. But I have to admit: I really cannot work up the energy to get myself exercised by what seems like a crass ratings grab and little more. I don't regularly watch Survivor, and the episodes I've seen have been perfectly entertaining and nothing more. The show is utterly substanceless, but lots of people seem to love it, so more power to them. If you want to read a worthwhile piece on this issue I would suggest Sacha Zimmerman's "Jungle Fever" at TNR online. I suspect that unless the producers handle this oafishly the controversy will prove to be much ado about very little, free advertising for the doyen of reality television. And I'll continue not to care.

2 comments:

Ahistoricality said...

I saw a quote from a producer of the show, in the Washington Post, probably, which basically said "you're talking about the show; we're thrilled".... it worked, dammit.

dcat said...

Yup. No such thing as bad publicity. There are a billion things to worry about in this world. This simply is not high enough on that particular food chain to worry me.

dcat