Friday, August 04, 2006

Sportsguy Mailbag and the Canadian Anthem

Sportsguy has a new mailbag, which in and of itself is an event of sorts, even if sometimes he can be a caricature of himself and if his readers are somehow also a caricature of him. One of the best elements of the mailbag is that he provides a list, with YouTube clips, of the top six renditions of the National Anthem at sporting events.


I know that this will seem like some sort of blasphemy, but my favorite, hands down, was this absolutely stunning moment during this year's Stanley Cup playoffs. Before a game against the Anaheim Ducks their singer gives a verse or so, and then yields the Canadian anthem to the crowd. It is breathtaking. I got goosebumps, and to give some perspective, my best memories of Canada are still tied to the fact that as a New Hampshire native I could I could drive up in a car crammed full of buddies and drink there for about five years before I could legally buy a beer in the US.


As a caveat, I must say that I love the Canadian National Anthem -- from a purely musical vantage point I think it is the best in the world. And on top of that, not only do I know the lyrics, but I have sung that anthem in Camden Yards with Fair Game, the a cappella group of which I used to be a full member in good standing, and with which I still sing whenever I am in DC and am an emeritus member.


Hey, just watch the freaking clip.

No comments: