Thursday, August 24, 2006

Bad Flashback

I'm just touching base quickly from God's country, which you better know by the name "Boston." I just saw this story on CNN. I am uncomfortable with claiming to be an "expert" in the areas in which I do work, but let's just say that I know more than a little bit about segregation on buses. I hope that in the next year or so you'll all have the option to buy my book on the Freedom Rides. I'm starting a new book on bus boycotts in the US and South Africa. So when I see a story in which a white bus driver in Louisiana is alleged to have forced the black kids to sit at the back of his bus, it raises my hackles. (I don't actually know what hackles are. But whatever they are, they make me feel pretty ill.)

5 comments:

g_rob said...

Hackle is a term for the use of feathers (usually rooster but sometimes pheasant, turkey, even peacock) in tying flies for fly fishing. A piece of grizzly hackle (which is a name for the color of the hackle, not where it comes from) is used to wrap around the fly in an attempt to mimick the small legs of an emerging aquatic insect. So, in regards to the analogy, it refers to the fact that the hackles on a fly are stiff and stand straight up, like the hairs on the neck of a dog when angered or challenged.

dcat said...

Greg --
Between you and me -- I actually had a sense of what it meant and looked it up even as I wrote it, but for ironical effect I thought it would be funnier if I pretended to be an idiot.
But I did not know (nor did my dictionary. Stupid reference source) the fly fishing aspect, and think that's kind of cool. I know you dig on fly fishing though, so inadvertantly, you are now our go-to guy on such matters. I'd love to learn to fly fish, but suspect I'm not patient enough.
In any case, you da man!!

dcat

Thunderstick said...

You know what's awesome--sausage mcmuffins with egg!!

g_rob said...

I knew you did. I was being funny. Sort of.

dcat said...

Greg --
Trust me -- I know "sort of" funny, and I am it.
dcat