Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A Largely Baseless Prediction

I have no foundation for it, really. Like most of you I have read as much as possible to make sense of the goings on in the Democratic Senatorial primary in Connecticut, pitting upstart Ned Lamont against longtime Connecticut Senator Joseph Lieberman. But I cannot shake the idea that Lamont's support is largely chimerical, a visceral response to vague misgivings about Lieberman that peaked last week, still appeared to have some traction at the time of the latest Quinnipiac poll, but seems to be built on a foundation of sand. Lieberman did not start taking his upstart opponent seriously until very recently, at which point he began feverishly campaigning, and I cannot help wonder if the work he has done has not eppeared in the polls. So as I say, I have no foundation for it beyond informed speculation, but I get the sense that Lieberman is going to win today, and he is going to do so by a more comfortable margin than anyone expects, say 3-4 points, maybe more.


I know this will be in the blogosphere to haunt me forever, but for some time now I have been unable to shake this idea that Lamont is more of a cipher than a real threat. By tonight we should know.

6 comments:

Thunderstick said...

Hopefully your election predictions are more reliable than your sports predictions which suck eggs!!

dcat said...

It's great to have a healthy fan base.

Thunderstick said...

I am going to make a fortune in Vegas at dcat's bachelor party just by betting against him.

Anonymous said...

Guess not. Good call dcat.

Name: Matthew Guenette said...

Wasn't Lamont on Sanford & Son?

dcat said...

It was a gut instinct that went awry. That Senate seat is suddenly vulnerable where it wasn't before. The netroots democrats got what they wanted. Now they might have Nadered their way into a GOP seat.

Of course Lieberman's desire to run a third-party candidacy now won't help. This is the sort of meltdown the party did not need.

In my defense, the vote mergin was closer than the pre-election polling margin, albeit within the margin of error.

dcat