Friday, October 16, 2009

Loving v. Virginia, 2009 Edition

Think issues of race are not still with us? Well, consider this story for as long as your stomach can handle it:


A Louisiana justice of the peace has refused a marriage license to an interracial couple. he's not a racist, mind you (we know this because he says so) but he's just thinking of the children:

"I don't do interracial marriages because I don't want to put children in a situation they didn't bring on themselves," Bardwell said. "In my heart, I feel the children will later suffer."

Apparently being a justice of the peace in Tangipoa Parish also confers on one great wisdom about the ways of marriage. Because, you see, in addition to his expertise on race, Keith Bardwell knows that interracial marriages do not last long. Again, we know this because he says so.


Loving v. Virginia settled this question in 1967, and even that decision came a century too late. Welcome to "post-racial" America, 2009.


[Hat Tip to my former student, Mary.]

2 comments:

Sara said...

While I loathe the Louisiana JP's refusal to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple, I cannot help but to wonder if this incident will cause people to get their heads out of the sand and realize that marriage is a constitutional right for all, regardless of race or sexual orientation!

dcat said...

Sara --
I hope so. Split decision yesterday with a win in Washington State but a loss in Maine.

dcat