Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Zim, the Freedom Rides, and Travel: Treble Self Indulgence Alert!!!

It's belated because I was out of the country, but on June 25, just before Zimbabwe's runoff election, the Cape Argus published another op-ed piece of mine. In this one I argue that Morgan Tsvangirai's withdrawal from the race, while fully understandable, might set a bad precedent. I then go on to invoke the Freedom Riders, drawing a comparison between how the3 students took over the Freedom Rides after the violence in Alabama broiught the original rides to a halt, the rationale being that sending the message that violence can stop the movement would have had devastating consequences.


(Speaking of the Freedom Rides, I received my edits of my manuscript last night. There is some, but not an overwhelming amount of, work to do. It is always nice to see signs of progress.)


[Las Cruces, New Mexico, where we laid our heads last night, is lovely. Off to Arizona in a bit.]

No comments: