Monday, April 16, 2007

Self-Indulgence Alert: Glory Days

Today dcat turned, gulp, 36. By the standards of my profession as a college professor, I still qualify as being young, precocious, even. But if actuarial tables are to be believed, the odds are pretty good that even if I feel like a twenty-something, I'm at or near the midpoint.


There was a time in my life when my default wardrobe involved sneakers and, when possible, shorts. The reason was simple -- for athletes, there was always the possibility that a pickup game might break out. Basketball, football, baseball, even something like frisbee or golf (whether legitimate or through shenanigans such as sneaking on to the course). The idea that in my life in the next few hours a basketball game might break out is only slightly more plausible than that the Virgin Mary will appear burned into my toast or that our youngest kitten will not take a dump the second after I clean the litterbox. (In fact, my eighteen-year-old self just experienced time-space humiliation over the fact that one of the only points of comparison I could muster was with cleaning the litterbox of ONE OF my cats.)


A couple of weeks ago I was invited to play in a charity softball game against our university softball team. I hurt my back. In warmups. And yet my mind remembers being an athlete even as my body has amnesia. I played through the pain -- in fact, I pitched for our team, was active in the field and at the plate, and as a result I was flat on my back for the rest of the day and was pretty much useless for the next week.


But there was a time when things were different. I can still remember those times. In fact, I can even prove that they existed:



This picture was taken exactly 14 years ago today. On this jump I became the third-ranked long-jumper in Williams College's long track and field history and I won the Williams Invitational long jump title. Later that day I also won the triple jump championship. In the decade-and-a-half to follow I have moved down the list as better jumpers have inevitably supplanted me, though I believe I am still in the top five among long jumpers and I know I remain in the top ten on the Williams indoor and outdoor long, high, and triple jump lists.


1993 sometimes seems like a long time ago. I'm not that guy any more. I wish I could go and tell that guy a few things. I wish I could listen to that guy for a little while and remember him better.


Forgive this self-indulgence. Remembrances from some modest Glory Days can be pathetic, but they also remind us of who we are. In my mind I am still flying through the air, defying gravity and, for a brief minute, time itself.

9 comments:

GingerM said...

I feel like saying Happy Birthday is inappropriate at the moment. Although I feel like you should always celebrate your birthday to the fullest. I also dont feel like 36 is that old. I mean people are living into their hundreds now, you should act as young as you feel whenever possible. My birthday is in a few days and Im EXTREMELY excited, just cause its my birthday and I know this is a downer but there is always the possibility that it could be my last, even as young as I am. And your never too old to indulge in your favorite sports, although I was a little saddened to see that soccer didnt make it onto your list of games.





Happy Birthday!

dcat said...

Thanks, Ginger. I actually had a reasonably nice birthday. It was low key and I had to work and I wish sometimes that like Mork From Ork birthdays meant that I got a year younger, but of course that would come to suck before too long.

You make sure to have a happy birthday yourself.

Cheers --
dc

Thunderstick said...

Long jump, schlong jump. Remember how much we drank during the summer of 95. That's the younger version of myself that I'd like to get back in touch with, not the one that ran track in college.

Tom said...

Happy Birthday Uncle Derek!

Heather and Matthew said...

Loaded,I once goaded you to jump the 20 feet across the trough of Boston's Red Line and its third electric eel rail, and the younger stronger juvenile brained Derek seriously consider making what might have been your final leap.

Thanks for not falling before the testosterone started falling. Believe it or not, you are a better athlete and person now, your greatest championships, your absolute finest moments are still way ahead of you.
happy birthday
matthew

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday dear Professor Catsam. Now after reliving your athletic glory, any chance we could get a WAV file of your tenure with "Fair Game?" I wouldn't mind hearing your take on Air Supply's "I'm all out of love."

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. Mania or Narcissism? Based on the information provided, I'm leaning toward the latter.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder is descibed on page 658 of the
Diagnostic and Statisical Manual of Mental Disorders 4th Edition.

dcat said...

Thanks everyone! As for Carl Jung's comments, I would suppose that even the crustiest old psychoanalyst would not begrudge a fella a little self-indulgence on his birthday without labelling it a disorder?

I still maintain that I'd have cleared that Red Line track -- I used to be able to jump over cars! As for drinking like it was 1995, I can still muster it up for a night, but it's back-to-back games that kill me now. I'll be posting no wav files anytime soon, though anyone at my wedding will be seeing Fair Game in all its glory.

As for the NHS record([s] -- I also still hold the high jump mark, I think), at least I have that going for me, which is nice.

dcat

Anonymous said...

I suppose not. Happy Birthday!

"It's impossible to act my age--
I've had no experience at it."