Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Around the World

Tomorrow morning I step onto a series of planes that will quite literally take me around the world. As a consequence, blogging will be intermittent but when it comes, hopefully worth following. Tomorrow I'll leave Midland just before 7:00 am for a flight to Dallas, then from Dallas to LA, where I will prepare to leave for a two-night layover in Hong Kong because let's face it -- I may not soon be in the neighborhood again.


On Sunday I leave Hong Kong for Beijing, where I will be participating in a program on security issues that should be interesting given the location. I was supposed to go to a program in Pakistan, but I guess the kidnappings and beheadings gave someone pause at the higher levels of either the program or the government. I am most interested to see if blogging from behind the Great Wall will even be possible, and if so, what gets through. Outposts of tyranny tend to frown upon the whole free speech and publishing thing.


After just under two weeks in Beijing (five days for the program, but again, I don't think I'll just find myself in China again anytime soon) I head back to Hong Kong where I have a cozy ten hour layover, then it is back to the more familiar confines of South Africa. I am giving a paper at a conference, I have a lot of research I want to do, including hopefully finishing up some work that will allow me to start a new book, and I would bet that I'll see some old friends and favored places.


After three weeks of South African winter, which will range from the mild -- think of Florida in winter) to the chilly (think the mid-South in winter), I'll fly to England for a far-too-brief return to some old stomping grounds (The Armitage Shanks are reuniting -- rock on!) for just a couple of days, and then I take a circuitous london-New York-Chicago-Dallas-Midland route back. Around the world fares are something.


I am thrilled to be abroad for the World Cup, and although Brits can only dream, I will be in England for the July 9 finals, so the country may be rife with hooliganism and besottedness. The US was screwed in the draw, but I would imagine that the rest of the world is not taking pity on us.


I'll write as I can. You are in good hands.


Cheers.

1 comment:

dcat said...

GoodLib --
I would be fine with and happy for England if they win it all -- since I'll be there dutring the finals, I would be psyched to get out to a pub and see them play that last game.

cheers --
dc