Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Live From Arlington, Texas

As if we needed more evidence that I am insane: Tonight I am going to the Sox game here in Arlington to see Josh Beckett make his Sox debut. Meanwhile, I have a 6:20 am flight tomorrow from Midland-Odessa that will take me to BWI and a Virginia conference. As soon as the game ends, I am driving overnight to Odessa, unpacking and repacking, kissing the girlfriend on the cheek, and heading to the airport. But it must be done -- this is the only Sox appearance in Texas this year and if I don't stay, that will be when Beckett flirts with a no hitter, Ortiz hits a 600 foot home run, or Manny runs the bases backward.


So far it has been a great trip, despite the fact that my hotel did not have cable (no Sportscenter!) and the awful performance by the Sox last night. Fortunately they won the Opener, and so tonight will be a rubber game. The Ballpark at Ameriquest, or whatever it is called, is a wonderful facility. It is vast, maybe a bit too much so -- I was part of a record crowd of over 51,000 on Opening Day, but most games will draw 30,000 or fewer fans, meaning that it will appear cavernous and empty even when it is not. And I get the feeling that once the Sox, and their legions of fans, leave town, that cavernous feel will become status quo. On Opening Day there were thousands of Red Sox fans, bedecked in jerseys and hats and t-shirts and whatever else. Last night, I'd say a third or more of the fans were for the viisitng team -- and even in a 10-4 loss, the "Let's Go Red Sox!" chants drowned out anything the puzzled Texas fans could muster. I got a lot of good natured ribbing from locals sitting near me, but it was all in good fan. I would not say that Rangers fans are the most passionate bunch, but they are great hosts.


Time running low here in this branch of the Arlington Public Library -- if all goes well, I'll catch my plane tomorrow with time to spare (after celebrating a Sox win in Beckett's first go-round.) Go Sox!!!

No comments: