Monday, October 24, 2005

Red Sox Diary

As if we needed further evidence that they will let anyone publish a book, Bleeding Red: A Red Sox Fan's Diary of the 2004 Season, has officially been released. For reasons beyond my understanding, it is not yet up on Amazon (I'll shamelessly self-promote when it is), but it is available (in mistitled form, with no cover image yet posted -- these are clearly all intended as reminders of my place in the hierarchy) at Barnes and Noble, here. If you are interested in seeing the publicity material (with the cover image, a picture of yours truly, and blurbs from one Charles Alexander as well as from Saturday Night Live's Red Sox fan and Kerry impersonator Seth Meyers) go here, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click on the thumbnail cover image.


Thanks to all of you for following along, for your support, and for your patience. Now what are you waiting for? Go buy the book (or wait until it is paired with Sportsguy Bill Simmons' book in the next week on Amazon).

4 comments:

dcat said...

DB --
Let's just say that I am a fan of instant replay wherever it is practicable. I know there are judgment calls in all sports anmd that replay would not be especially useful -- for balls and strikes, or holding calls, say. But beyond that, the argument that drives me insane is when people say tyhat sports are all about the human element, and that umpiring/refereeing is part of that. No -- the human element comes from the players. Umps, refs -- their flaws and humanity ought not to come out if it can negatively effect the game.
I think that umpires in MLB have a very tough job. And most of them do it fairly well. my main issue with umps is not really the quality of their calls. it is their unwillingness to be challenged. And it is how they get in the faces of players. No one is there to see an ump. And it is only those uniforms that keep them from getting stomped. They are dealing with professional athletes who would snap them like match sticks. It would be nice if they remembered this the next time some spittle encrusted ump gets in a guy's face when he midly questions an inconsistent strike zone. Sometimes guys need to get tossed. But much of the time an ump feels beleaguered and he has a quick hook.
These problems are exacerbated during the postseason and probably do open themselves up for comparison with the NFL. Thank goodness the White Sox pounded the Angels, because that wretched series of events regarding the non-dropped dropped ball could have left a stain on the postseason.

Buy all the copies you want. I'll sign them all. That's my promise to you, the loyal consumer.

dc

g_rob said...

Your picture is nice and all, but the 'B' on your Redsox cap is backwards.

g_rob said...

I'm still going to buy it though. How do I get it personalized?

dcat said...

Huh -- I am not sure how that happened with the hat. I suppose they did a reverse image. I'll let the publisher know.
I have no idea how to get it signed for you except, I guess, to have you send it my way when your copy arrives. Or perhaps to have you attend a signing. I'll gladly do NoCal . . .
dcat