Monday, July 17, 2006

Incoherence Watch

While it is only July, I feel pretty confident in awarding this T. R. Fehrenbach column as the most incoherent piece of writing (professional division) in 2006. I first read it in yesterday's Express-News in San Antonio and I had to revisit it today online to ensure that I had not imagined this train wreck in some bizarrely topical stream-of-consciousness dream. What nudges it from the ridiculous to the sublime is the topic: He writes to condemn ineptness! It is flabbergasting in its, well, in its ineptness. I'll check with Alanis Morrisette (like Stuart Scott, I try to keep my references at least six years old), but I think this qualifies as irony.

3 comments:

Tom said...

I didn't know Fehrenbach was still alive. I still have my doubts. Zing!

Thunderstick said...

That Alanis song is ridiculous. Rain on your wedding day? Ten thousand forks when all you need is a knife? That's not irony. That's just bad luck. I think she's pretty inept.

dcat said...

Thunderstick --
The Alanis reference was itself ironic. The frand irony of her song is that almost nothing she says is ironic. in class, when the reference was fresh, I used to say "that, Alanis, is irony" when something especially ironic did crop up.

dcat