Friday, March 24, 2006

My First Review

Bleeding Red has gotten its first official review over at lection. Tim Morris is a literature professor at the University of Texas at Arlington and writes extensively about sports and literature. (I have never met him, though we have now exchanged emails). His review is gracious and fair, I generally agree with his criticisms that reading the daily accounts can be difficult (I'm STILL shocked that people have read the whole thing and am even more shocked that they like it) and if all of the reviews are this kind, I'll be more than happy.


The Virginia Festival of the Book has been wonderful. My panel was well received, and Warren St. John and I make for a good pair -- we ought to do a road show.

1 comment:

dcat said...

Don --
First, thanks for your (too) kind words yet again.
Second, when non-Sox fans ask me why they should read the book, I try to explain that for all of the Red Sox specificity, it really is about being a fan, and being a certain kind of fan at that. I'll admit to being almost appalled by Professor Morris' shifting loyalty, because I honestly just don't even get it. It makes no sense to me. It seems like no loyalty at all. So in a sense, people who get the sort of uber-fandom that Bleeding Red embraces will probably like it, even if they are Indians or Browns or Cubs fans. those who are more moderate, or who do not possess those qualities, proably just won't. It will all seem too much, overdone, a bit crazy, and maybe as Professor Morris implies, a bit tedious.
And yes, there is still hope. And as long as it does not come at the expense of the Sox or Pats, I will root like hell for the Indians and Browns for you and Tom if the chance ever arrives.

dcat