Friday, March 03, 2006

Derek Gone Wild!

The close of business at UTPB today marks the beginning of spring break 2006. Sometime tomorrow, I'll begin my spring break road show.


If either UTPB basketball team, men or women, wins their Red River Athletic Conference semifinal games tonight (both teams won opening rounders last night) at Southwest Assemblies of God University in Waxahatchie, Texas, they will advance to the RRAC championships. I'll be there if they do, as reaching the finals of the tournament also earns them a berth in the NAIA Big Dance in Kansas City. I'm not sure if there will be room for the voice of UTPB radio in the KC, but I'll sure as hell try.


From there it will be off to New Orleans to see the aftermath of Katrina and contribute, if possible, to the local economy. One of my students today thought it ironic that I'd drink Hurricanes to help the city recover from the Hurricane. If I did such things, it might just be ironic . . .


Then it's on to Florida. Mom lives not far from Daytona (Bike Week begins tomorrow) and Dad in a little town outside of Lakeland. I am scheduled for a book signing at the Waldenbooks in the Edison Mall, southwest Florida's largest, next Friday, March 10, from 1:00 to 3:00. The Edison Mall is located in Fort Myers, Florida, which happens to be where the Red Sox hold spring training. It also may be the only place in the world where Bleeding Red is "doing brisk business," if a store manager who told me so today can be believed. If you are anywhere near Fort Myers, I encourage you to stop by.


As a consequence of all of these shenanigans, blogging will be light. I'll do my best, but something tells me that you'll live.

2 comments:

Thunderstick said...

"Yes Derek, sales are very brisk. In fact, we actually sold a copy only two weeks ago..."

HA.....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing!!

dcat said...

A copy every two weeks? That's pretty good . . .