Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Shaken, not stirred

It’s a sad day in the world of British MI6 spy James Bond. Pierce Brosnan will no longer be playing agent 007 in the movies, having already made 4 films.
“It never felt real to me,” he said. “I never felt I had complete ownership over Bond. Because you'd have these stupid one-liners -- which I loathed -- and I always felt phony doing them.”

That may be, Mr. Brosnan, but it felt real to me. With the exception of Sean Connery, who will forever encapsulate the character of James Bond (as well as any other role he ever played), Brosnan was my favorite Bond. More human than George Lazenby, cooler than Roger Moore, and funnier than Timothy Dalton, Brosnan brought the Bond franchise back to life, with an updated array of gadgets and new 21st century threats (his latest villain was North Korean). I don’t know who will be the next bond (X-Men’s Hugh Jackman turned down a 3-movie contract, although Ewan McGregor’s name has been mentioned as a possible replacement).

In any event, Brosnan is a part of Bond history now, and a better part at that. We are going to miss him.

No comments: