Monday, December 07, 2009

Mega Self-Indulgence Alert

There has been no lack of analysis of the state of the Republican Party by fairly prominent folks. In my latest History News Service op-ed (which has not yet gone up on the "Recent Articles" page for some reason) I weigh in on the state of the GOP. I try looking back to another era of deep divide within the Republican Party and show how the lessons the far right needs to learn from Ronald Reagan seem not to be the ones they are learning. So far it has been picked up by the Durham (NC) Herald Sun, the Albany (NY) Times Union, and the LA Progressive.


It has also appeared on websites ranging from History News Network to The Dallas Morning News to USA Today to WBIR.com (Knoxville, TN), to Florida Today.


As long as I'm cranking up the self indulgence, I also may as well mention that on Friday, April 23, 2010 I'll be giving a talk at the Newberry Library's Dr. William M. Scholl Center for American History and Culture as part of the 2009-2010 Chicago Seminar on Sport and Culture. The title of my talk, part of a larger project on sports, race, and politics in South Africa since 1994, is "Stopped at the Try Line?: Rugby, Race, and Nationalism in Post-Apartheid South Africa." I have an article with a similar title coming out in the next couple of months.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I know this is slightly off topic, but I can't wait until you post something about the Clint Eastwood movie, Invictus. As soon as I saw the previews, I was thinking..."I know DCAT will write something about this movie, I just know it with all my heart."
tramaine

dcat said...

I plan to see it as soon as the first showing kicks off, hopefully Friday morning. I will post something here. I will, however, be keeping my powder dry for a larger article that I am going to try to publish on Invictus, John Carlin's book on which the movie is based, and another book.

dcat

Name: Matthew Guenette said...

Derek--

Remind me again of that talk in April. I'll see if I can't get down there and buy us a round afterwards...