Sunday, January 11, 2009

Jim Rice's Last Shot

Tomorrow baseball fans will discover which legends will be enshrined in the 2009 class of the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. Tomorrow, Jim Rice will find out if he will gain entrance into that hallowed Hall in his last year of eligibility (through the traditional process.) Twice in the past I have addressed this issue directly, in December 2005 and December 2007 and I touched upon the question of his induction in March 2006. Today Bob Ryan tackles the question, showing how difficult a "borderline" case can be.


My argument has always been the same: Jim Rice was my favorite player growing up, and as a consequence would always get my vote. I know all of the rational arguments against him, but childhood loyalties are the fiercest loyalties, and in my mind Jim Ed Rice will always be the fiercest hitter around. I hope enough voters saw it that way this year, and that Rice will not be subject to the wait and the whims of the veteren's committee process some years down the line.

No comments: