Sunday, September 02, 2007

A No Hitter Amidst the Gridiron Fireworks

On a glorious opening day of college football (My highlights, with one or two exceptions, will reflect the day's big stories: the Appalachian State victory over Michigan; BC beating Wake Forest by ten and revealing themselves to be an offensive juggernaut; Notre Dame getting thrashed by Georgia Tech; Virginia Tech, a team I normally loathe, using football as a backdrop to recovery; the shootout in Berkeley between Cal and Tennessee) the sports highlight in dcat's world will still be Clay Buchholz's no hitter against the Orioles. It's been a bad week to be a Sox fan, but today was an undeniable highlight. momentum only takes you as far as the next day's starting pitching, but I'd like to hope that this will give the Sox a boost in the first week of September.

3 comments:

Rich said...

I would add Cincinnati Elder's 41-34 overtime victory over Charlotte Independence to the list, as it ended Independence's 109-game winning streak, the longest in high school football history (the streak started 7 years ago to the day, according to this morning's story).

Definitely adding today's sports page from the Charlotte Observer to my archives, with the lead story about App State's amazing win over Michigan and the Elder/Independence game write-up directly underneath it.

My cell phone crapped out last night right as I had a great text in response to your accolades of southern sweet tea. Indeed, it is the nectar of the gods.

dcat said...

Homz --
Sweet tea rocks. In this part of Texas it is at best 50-50 whether you'll get it or not. I guess that goes to show that we are not really in the South in this part of Texas.

When I left Charlotte, West Charlotte was dominant -- it was the first team to win the state championship from the city in decades as I recall. I lived in a really, really sketchy, poor, tough area and the kid next door went to West Charlotte High. He was, unfortunately, just beginning to feel his way in gangs, but I liked him and his folks, and so when he used to ask me to take him to West Charlotte games -- WCHS was, and probably is, an overwhelmingly black inner city high school -- I'd take him to the game so he could see his girlfriend. Perhaps not coincidentally I never had any hassles in the two years or so that I lived there. The games were awesome and lots of fun even though most people looked at me like I was lost. And that was a sick team.

Within a few years Independence became dominant -- Chris Leak really put them on the map -- and they have owned North Carolina high school football ever since.

I see that St. Xavier beat DeMatha today. I coached in the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference, almost undoubtedly the best Catholic high school sports league in the US, and DeMatha owned basketball and track (Awesome, awesome track athletes) and were just starting to become nationally ranked in football.

dcat

Anonymous said...

The only thing better than sweet tea is sweet tea washing down one of Luis Tiant's Cuban sandwiches.
Z