Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The First Death

In his "Monday Morning Quarterback" column this week Peter King yields the stage for several pages in order to allow Redskins' lineman Ross Tucker to give a first-person account of what it is like to get cut and in this case almost certainly to have your career end. They say athletes die twice. I know this to be true. Tucker's honest reportage is fantastic, both gripping and in a way sad. There are worse things than to be a Princeton graduate who played in the NFL for six years and started two dozen games, but the end is the end in a world where there are few illusions and with no room for sentimentality.

2 comments:

Name: Matthew Guenette said...

Ever read Zakes Mda? I'm almost done with Ways of Dying. In a literary coup, Madison Area Technical College will sponsor his reading at the Wisconsin Book Fest in October.

Reason #316 why Madison is so cool.

dcat said...

Matt --
I love Zakes Mda. He is one of my favorite contemporary writers, and I have used Ways of Dying in my Modern Africa class in the past. he has for a long time, and still may be, affiliated with Ohio University's English Department as a writer in residence or something akin to it.

I have only been to Madison once, but I was there for more than a week, and I loved it. I'd gladly come up to give a lecture on your campus . . .

dcat