Friday, June 02, 2006

What is and What Will Never Be

So Roger Clemens is going back to Houston. I've been asked approximately three dozen times what I feel about this turn of events, so here goes:


In today's Boston Globe Bob Ryan reflects on what was (in the spring of 1984) and what might have been (had Roger decided not to take the safe route and instead had signed with the Sox). And how can any but the most ardent Roger haters in red Sox Nation not feel the same way? I wanted him back. I wanted him to get that 193rd win and to pass Cy Young for first place on the all-time Sox list. I wanted him to join with Curt Schilling to become the ubermentors for Beckett, Papelbon, and eventually Lester and Hanson. I wanted to bolster the rotation, giving us the most solid top four in the majors. I wanted to remember Roger when he was my favorite pitcher of all time (and I think he might be the greatest, though the best I [or you] have ever seen was Pedro from 1998-2002 or so).


I wanted all of these things. But I also knew from the outset that they were not to be. This is one time when I believe Roger truly was anguished, that he did not know what he wanted to do, that he felt multiple loyalties, and that money was not the deciding factor. once he threw, with the permission of Major League Baseball, with the Astros during spring training, I knew that there was no way that he would do anything but come back as an Astro. The family ties, the geography, and the fact that the National League's offenses are weaker than O'Douls all made for an obvious choice. returning to Houston was, as Ryan illustrates, the safe choice. It was also the logical and easiest one.


Thinking counterfactually, would he have been a difference maker in the AL East race? Probably, at least inasmuch as the Sox, Yanks, and Jays will likely come down to that final weekend, and so no more than one or two games will separate the division winner and the team that comes in second (and, with the way the Central race is shaping up, a team that might well miss the postseason) and so in that sense, it seems obvious that Clemens could well have made that one game's difference. But now he won't, and so we return to status quo ante.


I wish Clemens well. I really do. Unlike many Sox fans (the Thunderstick, for example) I long ago forgave Roger when he left so ingraciouasly after being let go so unceremoniously. I hope he carries Houston to the postseason and to the World Series. But I am not surprised, and I am not broken hearted. The season was progressing according to form without Roger in a Sox uniform or pinstripes. It will continue to progress apace now that he is wearing the doubleknits of the Astros.

2 comments:

dcat said...

Good Liberal --
I think last night shows that we are in trouble if Beckett is marginal. When he goes on nothing but fastballs, he is hittable, and if we do not have him as a serious #1 type, this team is in trouble. I am going to remind everyone of what I said in spring training -- never, ever think you have too much pitching. People talked about having too many starters in 2006 just as they did in 2004 when we had six guys for 5 spots. there is no such thing as too many starters. Only in the early season will you have to deal with assuaging egoes. After that, someone will get hurt, someone will slump, and suddenly that abundance seems like a paucity.
Obviously Kazmir would be a nice addition -- plus, up until this year he has been death on the Sox, so it would be nice to prize him away if only not to have to face him. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Dontrelle sweepstakes if he continues to scuffle. On the one hand, it will have to make him easier to get. On the other, if he does continue to struggle, is bringing him to the AL East necessarily going to be the ideal curative?
As for last night's game-- it was so riduculous we may as well just chalk it up as one of those nights. My guess is that the guys forget about losses like last night a lot easier than they would a walkoff loss.

dcat

dcat said...

GoodLib --
Oh, so now you want me to state a useful opinion -- what we should do -- rather than just spout off!
I agree that Zito is more appealing that Willis in the short run, and especially if we can sign him. What i would love to see us do is make a trade before the feeding frenzy begins. And I'd like to see us do so mindful that the Red Sox are one of the few teams with the luxury of always being able to play to win now while still building to win later. that is the benefit of money.
On Saturday it looks like, because of the doubleheader, we will get our first glimpse of Lester. If he and Hanson can manage to be what they look like they can be, and if papelbon keeps up at the rate he has been going, I think we'll find that our cup runneth over. But that said, remember what I say about too much pitching -- there is no such thing. For a while there were whispers of a Lester plus for Willis deal, and I would suspect that is what it will take to get it done. In the case of a young pitching prospect for a young established pitcher, I'd say you have to do it. At the same time, with Willis in particular, i do worry tyhat his very active pitching motion, that high leg kick and all that, carries with it so much mechanical danger that you have to be wary. but if we are still in the running come September, yeah, I think you have to do it.

dcat