Tuesday, January 15, 2013

On UTPB 's Athletics Program

UTPB's Athletic Director, Steve Aicinena, has a nice piece on the role of sports, especially at my university, in the latest issue of Academe. It is well worth your time.

I've gotten to know Steve quite well through my own affiliations with the athletic department. I am chair of the University Athletics Committee, have been the voice of UTPB Falcon men's and women's basketball on the radio since I arrived, have served on several search committees for coaches, served as an assistant coach for a year when our past cross country coach tried to get a club track program started, and I am the faculty advisor and coach for our club soccer team. I have thus been present for the massive growth and growing success -- both competitively but also as a spark for the university -- of our athletic program. 

No comments: