Saturday, March 26, 2011

America Aflame

I guess it's been a week for promoting Friends of dcat. May as well continue the friend trend. David Goldfield, my MA advisor, who also sat on my dissertation committee and for a while was the series editor for my book until the press got a serious case of Dipshit-itis, got a great review for his latest book from this week's New York Times Book Review.

When I was in Charlotte a couple of years ago we visited for a while and he told me that his next book was going to be about how "the Civil War was not worth the cost." Naturally my jaw dropped. My thoughts then (and now had he fully written that book as opposed to the much subtler work that appears to have emerged) were not only that he was crazy and wrong, but that he was crazy and wrong in a way destined to ruin his reputation in many circles in the profession. But it appears that what did emerge is a fine example of counterfactual and speculative history, among other things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I met Dr. Goldfield a few years back and he is fine gentleman. I will definitely have to check this book out. Thanks for sharing.
tramaine