Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Mountains, The Mountains, We Greet Them With a Song!

Every year at Williams there was that guy who had graduated the year before but who stuck around Williamstown doing God knows what. They were not quite pathetic, but they also weren't not pathetic, if you know what I mean. After I graduated I went backa few times, but I was always wary of returning too often. I did not want to be that guy, or his close relative, the guy who came back every weekend.


And yet Williams and Williamstown continues to possess a strong hold on its alums, and once a few years have passed and none of the current students were there when you were there, the appeal to move back becomes too strong. A piece in this past weekend's travel section tells of the drawing power of Williamstown and how many second home owners there are in town, and what a high percentage of those are Williams alums. The prices sound a bit ghastly, but who knows? I could certainly see myself wanting to have a little place to visit for a few weeks at a time not far from where Route 2 intersects Spring Street.

2 comments:

Zpop said...

Perfectly understandable. As a Bowdoin alum, I don't think a month goes by where I don't talk about moving back to Maine. Someday...

dcat said...

Zpop --
I certainly found Bowdoin to be beautiful, (and had one of my best college track moments at that campus) and most all of Maine, really. Frankly, almost any of the NESCAC schools are in locations where a second home would be very nice.